Thursday, January 13, 2011

Making Progress!!

I've been pretty quiet on my blog for the last couple weeks.  Been quite bummed about having to rest from running.  I know I've mentioned having some pain in my lower right leg on the inside just above the ankle.  Through research on the internet I found that it was tendinitis.  So for the last couple weeks I've been avoiding running, taking ibuprofen, and ice it a couple times a day.  This also meant I had to pause my Couch to 10k training and bow out of the race I had signed up for on January 22nd.

Instead of sitting around being bored and eating junk I decided to look into the new fitness studio just down the road.  They were running a special for the day since it was the new year.  I had some cash so I decided to join 24/7 Fitness Studio.  It's located just 5 miles down the road, right next to Jersey Mike's!!  So you can guess what I'll be having for lunch quite a bit.   The membership does not require you to sign a long term contract; I can pay cash month to month.  The studio is nicely equiped with top notch machines and free weights.  Since I could not run I decided to try the stationary bikes and elliptical machines.  Both worked really well and did not bother my leg one bit.  The elliptical machine is the best, though not quite like running, it still gave my legs and cardio a great workout without stressing my injury.  I like to try burning 400-500 calories per workout.   After a good cardio burn I've been hitting the weights.  My goal is to tone up with more definition in my upper body.  I'm not looking to bulk up since my long term goal is focused around running and weightloss.

My ankle had been feeling really good lately so I decided to jump on the treadmill for a little run.  I was not sure how long I was going to run at first so I just felt things out and decided after about 10 minutes.  Since I was still feeling good I figured a 5k distance (3.1miles) was a good intro back.  I set the pace at 10min/mile.  I hit 5k and was almost to 500 calories burned.  Finished the workout at 3.45 miles in 37min and 528 calories burned.  Mild discomfort in the ankle, but not pain.  Did some ab work to finish up my workout for the day.  Went home for ibuprofen and ice.  Still feeling great.  Official weight before workout was 184.2lb.  Down from 200lb in October.  I seem to be stuck in the mid 180s.  Guess I need to work a little harder;)

No comments:

Post a Comment